Off-Campus Orders

Ashlynn Lee, Staffer

Going off-campus is a privilege– a fun, exciting, and freeing privilege. But it can be really confusing. There are just so many options, and a lot to consider when choosing where to go. You have to ask yourself: “Will I make it back to class in time? What will I be eating? And Can I even afford it?” 

Here’s a guide on the good, the bad, and the ugly of off-campus eating.

The infamous Chick-fil-a:

According to everyone I’ve talked to (and by how long the drive-through line is), it’s obvious that Chick-fil-a is one of the most popular off-campus options. But is it really worth the hype? Considering the dreadful Martin parking-lot traffic, it takes approximately nine minutes and 45 seconds to get to the parking lot of Chick-fil-a. 

When it comes to ordering, the options are almost endless– with regards to it only being chicken. For the vegetarians and vegans, you’re stuck with fries and/or mac & cheese. If you want to eat healthily, Chick-fil-a isn’t too shabby. The grilled chicken sandwiches and wraps are protein-packed and low-calorie. Not craving grilled chicken or lettuce? Chick-fil-a’s classic nuggets are surprisingly low-calorie, and they are the cheapest meal on the menu.

Speaking of price, Chick-fil-a is considered tolerably affordable with their meals ranging from $3.05 to $8.59.

“What-a-burger?” or “Water-burger?”:

Its reopening in November reminded students how much they love and missed the great option of Whataburger.  From the Patty Melts to the Chicken Strips, Whataburger has a great range of menu items that students love. During lunch, the lines at Whataburger aren’t too horrendous– they can be pretty manageable. But depending on your order, the wait for your food might take some time. 

The vegetarian options at Whataburger are slim, only consisting of their Grilled Cheese, French Fries, and a Veggie Burger that might contain trace amounts of animal products.

Interested in eating healthily? Whataburger isn’t your go-to. The healthiest meal at Whataburger is their Garden Salad and some apple slices. 

Price-wise, Whataburger is the place to go. Their meal prices range from $3.09 to $7.89. 

Sir, this is a Wendy’s:

Wendy’s is known for…well, being Wendy’s. But surprisingly, many students appreciate this mediocrity, making it one of the most popular off-campus options. However, I have to give props to Wendy’s: their menu has a large range of items, consisting of meals like the Baconator, Chili, and Baked Potatoes (and who could forget their iconic Frosties). 

They also have a good few nutritiously, healthy menu items like their variety of salads and their Grilled Chicken Sandwiches.

For the vegans and vegetarians, Wendy’s actually has something on the menu that isn’t just cheese and bread! Wendy’s offers baked potatoes and plenty of salads. 

There have been mixed reviews on Wendy’s prices. Some students say that Wendy’s is very cheap, while others say it’s too expensive. It really just depends on what you order and how you order it. 

To get to Wendy’s from the Martin parking lot, it takes around eight minutes (depending on the traffic). Likewise, the line for Wendy’s, drive-through and inside, is different depending on the day. Somedays the line is said to be really short, and other days, the line can wrap around the building.

“Chipotle’s my lifeeee”:

Some students take this Vine saying quite literally– making Chipotle their go-to off-campus dive-in. I don’t blame them. Chipotle has a diverse selection of meals, letting you decide exactly what you want to eat. Their assortment of add-ons has options for everyone. Chipotle even offers Sofritas, a plant-based protein perfect for vegans and vegetarians.

It’s pretty obvious that Chipotle has healthy-eating options, but what are the best ones? Well, everything– it just depends on how you order it. Some tips for ordering a healthy meal at Chipotle include switching the white rice for whole-grain rice and to look out for the addition of dairy toppings in your meal.

After all of this being said, Chipotle does have its downfall. For one, the price. Chipotle isn’t the best place to go if you’re on a budget. Its meals range from $4.75 to $7.50, not including extra toppings, sides, or drinks. 

In addition to Chipotle’s high prices, there is one more key factor that makes Chipotle a questionable off-campus order: the wait. Chipotle, unfortunately, does not have a drive-through. This forces students to wait inside, in line for usually around 10 minutes (depending on when you arrive). So if you’re in a time crunch, Chipotle isn’t your best bet.