Rituals and Routines

Keyla Holmes, Entertainment Editor

Martin students fill the halls everyday doing their best to show up fully for their classes and activities. Putting your best foot forward can be difficult when you don’t practice finding a comfortable pace, and expectations can be quite a strenuous thing. Along with the many valuable skills and life lessons  students are able to gain, learning how to create routines and, or rituals that work for the individual Warrior is one of them.

Being in tune with your needs can be a difficult thing to take into consideration when you feel overwhelmed by your commitments and goals, but according to students it’s all about simply getting started.

“I always start habits by at first forcing myself to get up and complete it, but after about a week or two it simply becomes a routine in the morning and night,” senior Kirstyn Dickey said.

While getting started on a routine can be difficult, it comes with high reward.

“Following a routine has made me feel more organized,” senior Kate Atkins said. “By sticking to a schedule, I can accomplish a lot more.”

Figuring out ways to take the time to tend to your needs can be a necessary element in assuring that you don’t become drained while trying to juggle different aspects of your life.

“Personally self- care is a big deal for me since I have to take care of myself physically and mentally while also being drained in my work and life outside of school,” Dickey said. “Self- care can be the thing that lets you take a step back and breathe.”

The assurance that committing to a routine brings, makes it all the more worthwhile. Consistency brings peace of mind, and helps in eliminating anxiety and stress.

“I set everything out the night before or put it already in my vehicle before I go to bed,” soccer coach Sabina Harrington said. “I can just lay down with more calmness and not think of things running through my mind, so it allows me to relax better in the evening.”

It’s important for students to understand that while they may have some sort of structure in place, taking the time to also consider what they need to accomplish for their health is a part of maturing. While it can be easy to only view strength in the physical sense, it’s significant for students to learn that strength often comes from within. Being able to fuel one’s body, mind, and spirit is essential in being “Warrior Strong,” but also beyond our halls.

“In a routine, I’m not just taking care of getting my workout and schoolwork done, but allowing time to take care of myself,” Atkins said. “Such as setting time aside to relax or take a nap.”

As students open up about their routines, the discussion of patience and grace takes its presence. 

“Being totally transparent, I don’t always let myself take a step back during the week because of the way my brain forces me to get more and more done,” Dickey said. “Although I do try to take at least 30 minutes to myself a day, it can become difficult and I do see the results of not taking breaks by the end of the week.”

It can take time to establish a routine that works for you, so continuing to make an effort to build yourself up is important. Creating that relationship with oneself now can positively affect future relationships.

“Starting my routine of waking up at 5:50 was a struggle,” senior Carsen Clark said. “But you just have to really commit and it gets easier everyday until it becomes a habit.” 

With spring around the corner, the idea of growth and rebirth fills the crisp air. As students move through the second semester, it can be a great time for students to implement routines or new rituals in their lives. Feeling grounded and having a plan can be the perfect recipe for success, and be uplifting as we look forward to the start of spring.

“Following a routine has helped me stay calm and grounded throughout this year,” Clark said. “It allows me to have structure which I personally thrive in.”