The Warrior Post

The Student News Site of Martin High School

The Warrior Post

The Warrior Post

Polls

How is online learning working for you?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

She can be anything

Senior Katelin Crain proves that she can excel in anything she puts her mind to

You can be anything” has been the primary campaign of Barbie since 2015, encouraging girls that there are no lim- its to their potential and to what they can become. Senior Katelin Crain is a prime example of this state- ment with her range of tal- ents and proves that girls being anything rings true. Many Martin students have experienced Crain’s drive first hand as she has designed the shirts of sev- eral student organizations after being recommended to sponsors by her friends. “I’ve designed the shirts for HOSA, Roboboat, VSA, Yearbook, HSA, and the STEM sweatshirt,” Crain said. However, Crain’s design- ing and drawing experience doesn’t stop there. In fact, it began with her experience as an illustrator. “When I was an illustrator, I’d usually draw for Webtoon or freelance work, and I was paid a lot for that,” Crain said. “I ended up retiring from that be- cause it was really tiring to have to contact the people who wanted illustrations and if they didn’t like what I gave them, I’d have to re- draw.” Along with her illustrations, Crain also has a back- ground with the perform- ing arts through dance. “At one point I was a professional ballerina,” Crain said. “I was a performer for Miss Persis Studio, and I was able to get on pointe. I did that from seventh grade up until freshman year be- cause of COVID.” Her versatility also carries her through the STEM field with her research on neural composites. “Over the summer, I basically was researching and describing the frequencies seen in absent seizures and I got sponsored by the Army and Rochester Institute of Technology,” Crain said. “I’ve been working on publishing it, but it’s a lot of work.” While working on this, Crain’s sponsors made sure to give her the highest experience so that she could produce the best results possible. “They covered my com- mute expenses and my food, because I was placed at UTA for my research since they have really good computers there,” Crain said. “They also paid me for the research itself.” Not only was Crain able to benefit from said re- search through the pay she received, but she has also been offered scholarships. “I don’t really plan to continue the research, but certain colleges have offered me full rides to do my research there,” Crain said. “But it’s hard to accept be- cause that’s not really what I want to pursue.” As far as her career after college, Crain continues to weigh her options. “I plan to be a surgeon or an accountant,” Crain said. “I haven’t decided yet.” Crain’s research project wasn’t the only thing that took up her summer. She was also able to maintain a full time job, which she continues to work at part time during the school year. “Currently I’m working as a cook for Globe Life in the Lexus Lounge,” Crain said. By working both of her jobs simultaneously, Crain’s summer weeks tended to be very busy, yet she still was capable of working to her best potential regardless of the pressure. “I worked full time while also doing full time re- search, so in total I was working about 40 hours a week,” Crain said. With the vast amounts of organizations and hobbies that Crain has dabbled in, many take notice of just how willing she is when it comes to trying new things. “Katelin is always seeking out new opportunities and is excited to hear about new and exciting clubs, intern- ships, and scholarships,” HOSA advisor Cori Davis said. “She is always ready to lead and learn.” Although Crain tends to be hesitant when it comes to giving herself credit for all of her work and talent, her friends truly recognize just how hard she works. “She does what she wants to do and succeeds at it,” senior Beau Piel said. “She doesn’t view herself as somebody so decorated and accomplished and it’s so rare to see someone who can do so much and be so humble about it.”