The Warrior Post

The Student News Site of Martin High School

The Warrior Post

The Warrior Post

Polls

How is online learning working for you?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

A man of many jobs

Junior shares the occupations that fill up his busy schedule

Whataburger, Sun- dancers, softball, and Arlington Po- lice. This list of jobs could describe someone’s entire career, but it’s just a fraction of the jobs junior William Hodges, also known as Slim, has held. “I’ve had at least 20 jobs in my life,” Hodges said. “I’ve also worked at the game truck, concessions for school games, and lawn service.” It’s not just jobs that take up so much time. He has appeared on the announcements multiple times to sing the national anthem or Happy Birthday to Principal Marlene Roddy. Hodges is also the softball manager, the girls’ soccer announcer, and has helped out with football. “Most of the time, the coach or director comes up to me and asks if I want to help out, and I say, ‘Sure, why not?’” Hodges said. “That’s how I got all these jobs.” This year, Hodges’s main occupation is manager for the varsity softball team. “Slim is fearless,” softball coach John Holton said. “He puts himself out there where most people would not. He will do anything, bust out some karaoke. He even sings Happy Birthday to the girls.” Hodges first became a part of softball two seasons ago when he offered to sing before the team’s playoff game. “We were getting ready to go to a playoff game, and he showed up wanting to go to our game and sing the national anthem, but we didn’t play for four hours,” Holton said. “He asked for a ride to the game, one of the girls stepped up and took him, and he’s been with us ever since.” Hodges quickly proved himself as an integral part of the team, becoming a versatile helper for all the team’s needs. “He does whatever I need him to do,” Holton said. “He’s responsible for the waters, for getting equipment, if I need him to do anything, he takes care of it. The girls have really taken to him. He’s just as much a part of the team as the players are. He’s really import- ant to our success.” After making his great first impression, Hodges was promoted from help- ing out every team to focusing on softball as the full-time manager. “Last year, Coach Wager asked if I would be inerested in taking him on as a manager full time,” Holton said. “I thought it would be good for him to be around different people who can look after him, and I thought it was good for the girls because Slim is just good for people.” Holton said he has committed to the job of full time very well, as Slim is present as much as he can possibly be. “He is there ev- ery day,” Holton said. “Even after school and during the off season, he makes every event he possibly can.” Slim’s parents had very similar thoughts on him staying so busy. “They say it’s a good thing that I’m always busy, I guess it helps me stay out of trouble,” Hodges said. Even though he is no longer as involved in football, his work at school is not exclusively in soft- ball. Slim spends a lot of time with both Arlington Police and the school secu- rity. “I do the junior police academy with the APD.” Hodges said. “We train for different types of scenarios from mental crisis to actual active shooters and bomb threats. Anything that the police do, we do.” Those exercises are sim- ulations, but he also par- ticipates in actual security work at Martin. “I know all the security officers and help out where I’m needed,” Hodges said. “If they’re short staffed, I step in and help them.” “I also work as security for the Sundancers,” Hodg- es said. “He will guard our seat- ing area when we perform to keep people from walk- ing through it,” senior Amilia Aguilera said. With a paying job at Wha- taburger plus his commit- ment to multiple school teams, it’s hard to imagine Hodges has any time to himself. “I have a little bit,” Hodg- es said. “I spend most of it country singing.”