The Warrior Post

The Student News Site of Martin High School

The Warrior Post

The Warrior Post

Polls

How is online learning working for you?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Making it New

Traditions at Martin remain but evolve over the years

Martin High School has been around for four decades. Built in 1982, Martin has established many traditions such as First Event and pep rallies. Some former Mar- tin students even went the extra mile and made their kids Warriors. Tammy January, a former Martin Warrior, remembers what high school was like for her. January graduated from Martin in 1990, and compared to now, she says things were much different when she attended Martin. “Since we didn’t have phones, we had lots of opportunities to connect with friends,” January said. “We had lockers and everyone would hang out and talk.” Over the years, Martin has developed many different traditions. Many traditions have come and gone since the late 80s. January recalls her favorites from her time as a Warrior. “My favorite tradition was the drum line en- try into pep rallies and games,” January said. “I was sad to see that one go. Another tradition I enjoyed was decorating the senior hall for Homecoming.” Tammy January’s daugh- ter, sophomore Lauren Jan- uary, attends Martin today. Lauren’s high school expe- rience is a bit different from her mother’s. “I use my phone during school for things like Can- vas,” Lauren said. “I also use it whenever I’m bored, or to listen to music.” Her mother’s belief that it can be difficult to make friends still rings true 30 years later for Lauren. “Being social at Martin can be difficult sometimes because it’s very ‘cliquey,’” Lauren said. “If you’re not in the same sport or clique as someone they don’t real- ly want to talk to you. Most just keep to themselves and want out of here.” Martin announced at the beginning of the school year that for the first time in years, there will be a Homecoming dance. For others like Lauren, this will be their first high school dance ever. “I’m excited about the Homecoming dance,” Lau- ren said. “Everyone really looked forward to it. I have a feeling it’s going to be a really good tradition.”