The Warrior Post

The Student News Site of Martin High School

The Warrior Post

The Warrior Post

Polls

How is online learning working for you?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

A time for change

New sponsors and directors have taken over the fundamental organizations at Martin, changing the dynamics of many

Walking the halls on the first day of school, there are new faces representing sports, clubs, and programs of Martin High School. This has been a year of changes for Martin. With many new sponsors, coach- es, and directors imple- menting new ideas, the sense of tradition at Martin has been revamped. Transi- tioning from one sponsor to another has led many orga- nizations to become more student-directed. “It’s definitely more self- led this year,” Senior Class President Diya Mahdawi said. “It’s more motivating for us to take charge and take leadership.” New sponsors come with new rules and systems. “With every change in sponsor, there will be things that are new that are im- plemented,” new Student Council teacher Ornella Babek said. “Everyone has their own style and flair.” Some of these changes have taken a toll on the stu- dents involved. “It’s tough getting ad- justed to all of the new changes in the program,” senior football captain Jake Landrum said. “The coach- es switched around, so we are having to get used to their new positions.” With the flood of new directors in charge, many programs have been re- structured or reimagined. “Our new theatre teach- er definitely has a much different process than our previous teacher,” senior theater secretary James Connolly said. “The new theatre director is more fo- cused on the more technical aspects of what we do in theater, which I think is bet- tering our program.” Con- nolly said. While some students are finding it difficult to adapt, many are finding it exciting to see what’s next. “We have all been trying to do our best with having a new band director,” se- nior band member Maisa Ahmed said. “The band program has become very driven to do better and stu- dents haven’t been slack- ing with a new teacher in charge of us.” Taking charge has been a transition for most new sponsors. Many understand that the students have set ways and methods of getting things done. “There may be some tweaking of some things, but for the most part, what we’re doing around here has worked,” new head football coach Chad Rives said. “If it’s not broken, don’t fix it.” Letting experienced stu- dents take the lead has be- come common for many of these organizations. “My goal is to continue doing everything the offi- cers have already been do- ing, with the collaboration of myself and my Key Club Officers,” new Key Club sponsor Sarah Scott said. “Keeping in touch with the different organizations and vendors that we work with is something that I am keeping in mind to keep things flowing.” Many of the new spon- sors have a strong under- standing of Martin’s traditions with its student body. Keeping up with these traditions has been strenuous to some of the new teachers and coaches. “Being a new head coach, I am really trying to go with what my cheerleaders and the student body wants since Martin Cheer is so full of long standing traditions, but also finding ways to create new traditions along the way,” head cheer coach Taylor Justice said. Yet some of the new sponsors this year are try- ing to turn around these programs in very positive ways by implementing completely new systems. “Leadership classes are now more structured,” Babek said. “My plan is to create a leadership pro- gram that builds on itself.” Such programs have made this school year challenging for many students. “Getting used to what she asks from us has been an adjustment,” Senior Vice President Olivia Allen said. These new adjustments have led students to exert a new profound motivation in attempts to impress the new sponsors. “We have definitely been on our toes,” senior soccer player Saige Dixon said. “We’re trying to do our best for our new coach.” However, this change of leadership has been effortless and reassuring for many other students. “We’re less intimidated and more comfortable,” Varsity quarterback Brooks Brigance said. Many students recognize the new hope and opti- mism that these sponsors have, furthermore striving to better these programs. “Because it’s her first year, she’s very optimistic and excited to do her best,” junior Key Club President Samantha Vuong said. Just within the first few weeks of school, many fundamental programs and organizations have been transformed for the better. “This is definitely an opportunity for change, and change is good,” Landrum said. “It makes us better as a team.”