Students wait on election results

Madi West, Reporter

This 2020 election has been one of the biggest and most vocal elections we’ve had so far. Many of us are on the edge of our seats waiting for election day results to roll around since Nov. 3. Whether you can or can’t vote, you probably have an opinion about what you want the outcome to be.

Friendships and families are being driven apart because of the difference in their political views. 

“I don’t think political views should come between a friendship at all,” junior Bailey Glass said. 

While many students agree with the fact that political views shouldn’t come between people, others have different thoughts on the matter. 

“I would let it come between us to a certain extent,” junior Irene Hassan said. “I respect that everyone has different political views but it’s gotten to the point where it’s not a political issue but a human rights issue.”

“Political views are a direct window into someone’s morals so it’s fine by me,” junior Raven Waugh said.

On a student poll, 51 students said they wouldn’t let political views come between a friendship, while 13 students voted they would. 

English III teacher Molly Haney said that since not even half of her students are coming back in person, political debates in class kind of aren’t there.

“I haven’t seen any students talk about the election to each other in class but I have on class assignments,” Haney said. “I have vocab assignments for students where they have to write a sentence for every vocab word, and some of the students were vocal about their opinions on the election.” 

2020 has already been such an eventful year with trying to adjust to the world-wide pandemic, the last thing we need is to be stressed by the election. 21 out of 48 students said they are nervous about the outcome of this debate, whether that be for our country or our well being. 

Only 9 students out of the 81 who responded said that they could vote. 

“To not be able to vote currently frustrates me because I know every vote in this election will matter and I want to stand for what I believe,” Junior Cade Flores said.

Senior Zyon Grooms said that he isn’t nervous about the election. 

“I won’t stress over anything I can’t control,” he said. 

Even though Grooms is a senior, he is only 17 and cannot vote yet, but said he will likely exercise his right in later elections.