Student Council raises awareness for LGBTQ issues

Molly Maddock, Reporter

In honor of transgender visibility day, Student Council has partnered with the Warrior Post to share the experiences of LGBT community students and the support they receive. 

sophomore Kevin*

What sexuality do you identify as?

I identify as bisexual, but I lean more towards women than men. It’s about 65/35. 

When did you realize your sexuality? How did you feel about it? 

When I was in 7th grade. I was an ally before I was part of the community, so I wasn’t really shocked or disgusted. It felt kind of natural.

How has accepting your sexuality affected your life?

For the better. It’s part of me, and I accepted that quickly. It wasn’t a big deal to my family, so my relationships weren’t really affected by it. 

Have you told your parents? If so, how did they take the news?

Yes, I told them. They were accepting of it, and our relationship didn’t really change. They were a bit surprised by it but they’ve accepted my sexuality. 

Who supports you in your life?

A majority of my family, my friends, and my significant other.

What is something you wish people knew about the LGBTQ+ community? 

Non-binary people can fit under the trans umbrella but not all non-binaries are trans.

What is a common question you are asked in regards to your sexuality? 

How did I know if I liked women as well as men?

Do you feel Martin is accepting? If not, how could Martin improve?

I’m not sure because I’ve never gotten to go in person.

How do teachers make you feel comfortable in their classroom?

They’re friendly and open to any questions that are asked. 

How do you feel your pronouns are respected?

I don’t currently use my preferred pronouns in school.

How do you feel about letting others know about your preferred gender?

I’m all right with it. I’m usually pretty open about it. 

What is something you wish the school would have to make you more comfortable as a trans student?

Maybe something like asking about your preferred pronouns. It doesn’t particularly matter to me though.

*student chose to remain anonymous 

*sophomore Aletia

What sexuality do you identify as?

I’d have to say Biro ace or for simplicity’s sake Bi.

I figured out I wasn’t straight in middle school when I was about 11 or 12. It felt freeing like I realized that I found myself in a way. 

It has made me feel scared to be myself around my parents, but on the contrary, I stand up against others who openly display homophobia or transphobia. It helps me connect with others on a deeper level especially when they’ve gone through some of the same experiences I have.

I haven’t yet and I don’t think I will until I know that I have a safe environment to land back on in the event they don’t take it well. 

Who supports you in your life?

My friends and my two cousins that know

We are human too and all the people in the community just want to live their lives in peace, loving (or not loving) others and being who they are without the world scrutinizing them for aspects that they can’t control that don’t even hurt anyone. 

Which gender do you prefer? 

I’d say Martin is pretty accepting but you always have a group of bad apples who think they’re speaking for the majority when they’re really not.

*student chose to remain anonymous 

sophomore Dallas

What sexuality do you identify as?

Pansexual 

I realized it in seventh grade. At first, I was kinda in denial since I grew up in a Christian household and I was always taught it was wrong, but I ended up talking to some friends who are LGBT and they helped me come out to myself. 

It affected my life in some good and some bad ways. It was good because I got to feel more comfortable with myself as a person and to put a bunch of confused feelings to rest. It was bad in some ways because my family isn’t very accepting, so they didn’t take my coming out very well and it really strained my relationships with some of them.

Have you told your parents, if so how did they take the news?

Yes, I have. I was kinda accidentally outed by a friend who told their parents and I got mad at them for that. So then their parents told my mom that I was angry at them for some reason and I told my mom what was up. She was very VERY confused with it and told me it was a phase and that it was the internet’s fault. To this day she is still in denial, but thankfully she hasn’t told my dad.

Who supports you in your life?

My friends and my girlfriend are a great support system. They help me a lot when I’m having trouble at home.

Pronouns don’t equal gender.

I often get asked, “How is that different from Bisexual?” and then I explain to them that there are genders outside of male and female

I think Martin is pretty accepting if you hang around the right kind of crowd.

I feel really comfortable seeing the Safe Space stickers in front of teachers’ classrooms.

How do you feel your pronouns are respected at school?

I’m too nervous to come out to my teachers in that way. So I still use my deadname and old pronouns around them.

I get more nervous coming out as nonbinary than pansexual because it is not as widely known and accepted to people outside the LGBTQ community, but around LQBTQ people I feel way more comfortable with it.

Definitely being able to tell teachers our pronouns without having to directly contact them. With the “tell me about yourself” type stuff at the beginning of the school year, it would be really helpful to have a pronoun question and to add nonbinary or “other” to the gender question. 

LGBT terms and the full acronyms: 

L- Lesbian: a woman attracted to other women

G- Gay: a man attracted to other men or a broad term for homosexuals

B- Bisexual: a person who is attracted to both men and women or a broad term for someone who likes more than one gender

T- Transgender: a person whose gender identity is different than the sex they were assigned at birth

Q- Queer: a reclaimed hate word used for people who don’t want to label themselves

Q- Questioning: a person who is still exploring their sexuality or gender identity 

I- Intersex: a person whose body does not identify as male or female. This may be because they have chromosomes that are not XX or XY or because their reproductive organs are not considered “standard.”

A- Allies: a person who identifies as straight but supports the LGBTQQIAAP+ community

A- Asexual: a person who is not sexually attracted to anyone and may have no interest in sex 

P- Pansexual: a person whose sexual attraction is not based on gender and are attracted to peoples’ personalities

D- Demisexual: a person who only experiences sexual attraction after creating a deep emotional bond with a person

A- Aromantic: a person who doesn’t experience romantic attraction

O- Omnisexual: a person who is romantically, emotionally, or sexually attracted to persons of all genders and orientations. The term is often used interchangeably with pansexual.

G- Genderfluid: a person who does not have a fixed gender and identify as different genders at a time

N- Nonbinary: a person whose gender identity is neither male nor female

S- Skoliosexual: a person who is attracted to people who are transgender and/or non-binary

Gender and sexuality are spectrums, people can identify as many different things. 

Links to help hotlines and what they do:

Trevor Project: 866-488-7386

LGBT National Youth Hotline: 800-246-7743

LGBT National Hotline: 888-843-4564

True Colors United: 212-461-4401

Pride Institute LGBTQ Dependency: 800-547-7433

https://lgbtqia.ucdavis.edu/support/hotlines 

https://pflag.org/hotlines 

https://www.cdc.gov/lgbthealth/youth-resources.htm 

Tips on how to bind safely: 

Chest binding flattens your chest to create a masculine or non-binary appearance. Since breasts are seen as a traditionally feminine characteristic, chest binding can help individuals alleviate gender dysphoria, which is a discomfort toward one’s physical or perceived gender expression. The most recommended way is with clothing specifically made for it. But if you are unable to purchase binders, sports bras and loose clothing can make the chest appear flat. 

You can try putting on a binder like you would a sports bra — pull it over your head and then stick your arms through. However, binders are especially tight when you first buy them, so you might find them difficult to put on. If the sports bra method of putting on the binder doesn’t work for you, consider this alternative method of putting on a binder: 

• Flip the binder inside out. Then turn it upside down and step into it like you’re putting on a pair of shorts.  
  • Pull the binder over your hips until it reaches your chest. The binder should be covering your stomach but may feel a little too tight around your hips. If your binder makes audible tearing noises as you pull it up to your legs, stop immediately. You could rip your binder and damage the compression material.
  • Put your arms through the armholes. The binder should fit snugly around your shoulders and chest, providing an even compression. 
  • Adjust the binder. Move your breasts in a position that feels comfortable, yet compressed. In the end, your binder should feel like a larger, tighter sports bra. You shouldn’t feel like you’re being cut or squeezed. 

Medical professionals say that you shouldn’t wear a chest binder for more than eight consecutive hours, otherwise, you’re more likely to experience back pain, breathing problems, and other side effects. Overall, you should take plenty of breaks every hour or two when you first use your binder and set aside one day a week in which you don’t use your binder at all so that your body adjusts to the compression.