The Battle of TikTok vs YouTube

Madison West, Reporter

Finally, something to look forward to in 2021. Between all the SATs, AP exams, and EOCs, we could all use a little break from the end-of-the-year school stress. “The Battle of the Platforms” will take place on June 5 and apparently neither TikTok nor YouTube is sponsoring the event. The fight will be livestreamed on LiveXLive Media and the exact times have yet to be released. 

The fight is headlined with TikToker Bryce Hall and YouTuber Austin McBroom. Both stars had been quarreling on social media since before the fight had even been arranged, so when Hall finally agreed to fight McBroom, it was arranged into a huge live event. 

Other stars such as DDG, FaZe Jarvis, Tanner Fox, Nate Wyatt, Micheal Le, Deji, Nick Austin, Danny Duncan, and Vinnie Hacker are scheduled to fight. Social media users are supposed to vote for the opponents of YouTuber Danny Duncan and TikTok star Taylor Holder, providing a new interaction between fans and fighting that hasn’t been done before.

“I want Danny Duncan to fight TikToker Nathan Freihofer (Nate),” junior Kaden New said. “It would be such a great fight and I think Nate would win because he’s in the military and workouts out a lot. Usually the fights leading up to the main fight aren’t that good, but I’m actually more excited to see the other fights rather than the headliners.” 

While some are on the TikToker side, others think that the YouTubers will win. 

“I think Danny Duncan is going to win no matter who he fights,” sophomore Micah Everett said. “I think the Youtubers have a way bigger chance of winning.” 

YouTuber Tanner Fox was originally scheduled to fight Nick Austin, but Austin backed out of the fight. There hasn’t been an explicit reason why he backed out, but it’s upset many fans, especially Tanner Fox. Fox has called out Austin many times in his videos but Austin has yet to respond to the comments. 

Overall there is a ton of controversy about which side will win. While some people are placing bets on who will win, others don’t really care that much. 

“I honestly don’t care which side wins, the fight seems interesting though and I think it’ll be a good fight,” junior Hope Richardson said. “I just don’t care about the outcome.”