Diversity in Our School

Jessica Castillo, Staffer

The diversity in Martin opens the door for students to experience life through other cultures’ viewpoints. However, whether the student or faculty  decide to use the diversity around them, is up to them. 

Students said they often change their behavior in relationships depending on whether they are interacting with students of their own culture. 

“With different people depending on their race, I change my personality or the way I act,” sophomore Daniel Reddic said. 

Sometimes it’s hard to interact with people who don’t look like them. With a few responses by Martin students, that is not the case. 

“I hang out with White people, African Americans and some Hispanics,” Reddic said.

Based on experience, most people have a positive outlook with diversity in Martin. 

“Martin has different clubs like VSA that include people who are Vietnamese,” sophomore Ariana Sierra said.

This response indicates that Martin is recognizing the different ethnicities around the school. There are many areas in which a school can succeed in including kids of all backgrounds. 

“I see that in STEM there is a mix of people of different ethnicities,” Sierra said. “It’s not just one race in the same classroom.”

These students seem to be aware and perfectly fine with their friendships. But are teachers also aware of what’s going on around them? 

“I don’t really focus on students and who they group up with,” Statistics teacher Thomas Bobbitt said. “I focus on preparing my lessons and teaching the content.” 

Not everyone is observant and some things are just more important than the other. In addition, there are many circumstances where one has to talk or work with other co-workers no matter what they look like. The adults who work in the school have to have a friendly relationship with their colleagues. 

“I would say they treat me fair,” Security officer Michael White said. 

All things considered, there are going to be people with a similar group of others. Depending on the timing and the kind of person you are, the characteristics of a person are not chosen but adopted. 

“I see people with their racial groups and I see some mixed in with others,” White said.

According to Officer Chad Baker, peoples’ social groups are not only based on race.

“I notice people group up with people who play their sport or certain activities that they do, but there’s definitely cliques,” Baker said.