Securing Our School

Olivia Bell, Staffer

We’ve all seen the security guards around the school. Some of us have either talked to them, or possibly even gotten caught doing something by them. But we don’t really know much about them.

“I walk around, check stuff, escort certain kids to where they’re supposed to be, watch the cameras, and observe the kids mostly,” Officer Sharanda Brown said

The guards have a lot of jobs to do, although not all of the jobs they do are required. 

“When I’m not walking around, I try to spread positivity to those who need it.” Officer Mike White said. “If you were having a rough day and I were to tell you something funny, that’s positivity and it’s helpful. 

While some of the guards are trying to do their job and spread positivity around the school, others have to deal with what the students call “devious licks.”

“I don’t like it at all because it’s mostly the boys’ bathroom,” Brown said. “I know some upperclassmen who are so angry about it because half of their bathrooms are locked. It’s our job to make sure the bathrooms are safe to go into and with what’s going on, it’s hard to do that.”

Officer Chad Baker said he agreed.

“It’s very frustrating,” Baker said. “The worst of it has been toilet paper everywhere, the dispensers broken, I even had a sink destroyed. I just really hope people stop doing it.”

Even though some kids make their job hard, the officers said they still enjoy their jobs. 

“I love my job, there’s nothing else I’d want to do,” Brown said. “I love talking to the students and seeing them around the school.”

Photo by Madison Little