The Warrior Post

The Student News Site of Martin High School

The Warrior Post

The Warrior Post

Polls

How is online learning working for you?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Behind the scenes

All the work that went into Warrior Homecoming

Oct. 20, 7:30 a.m., you walk into school and see the halls decked with paper chains, butcher paper lining the building. The upper gym lobby is filled with students wearing gigantic mums and taking pictures. You can hear the jingle of cowbells strung on mums from down the hall. The Warrior spirit is the highest it gets all year, while antic- ipation for the game of the season is quickly building up. The transformation from dull hallways to a Warrior wonderland took a bunch of effort from multiple groups and individuals. “All 95 members from the student council were all involved,” Student Council sponsor Ornella Babek said. “Several clubs and teachers will give their students over to help assist with decorating for Home- coming.” The Student Council of- ficers and members have been working on Home- coming preparations since the second week of school, making hundreds of paper chains, posters, and for the first time, a giant mum to deck the halls for this year’s Homecoming. New this year, for the first time in several decades, StuCo and Bahama Bash hosted the Homecoming dance in the gyms and the courtyard. The Homecoming dance took place Oct. 21 from 7:30 to 10:30. Almost 1500 tick- ets were sold. “Student Body President Erin Cooper really pushed for a dance because it sounds really fun and we have the ability to do it,” Junior Class President Emma Grace Herrstrom said. “We haven’t done it before and I think it will be a lot of work but I also think it will pay off.” Bahama Bash and Student Council have been work- ing on this dance since the summer and it has added a lot to the workload. With struggles come eventual success, which is the reason the Student Council con- tributes so much to Home- coming each year. “I love it when my stu- dents give me the list of things we need for Home- coming because I love to online shop,” Babek said. “I also love the excitement and drive.” Student Council spent upwards of around $2500 on Home- coming decorations alone this year. “Planning Homecoming has helped me learn event planning skills, working as a team, and other life skills,” Herrstrom said.