When Covid makes schedules open up

Colton Morrow, Sports Editor

Waking up, getting ready, and going to school. All three were a big part of the daily schedules of students and staff at Martin until March 2020. In March, Covid 19 caused an extension of Spring Break which turned into school going online for the rest of the year.

Some of the students at Martin said they had hunches that school was getting cancelled before the official announcement.

“I saw it coming from when our coaches told us we couldn’t come work out at the school,” sophomore Tramell Windham said.

Windham was involved in football and track and like many athletes, he was prepared to continue working through the season but was cut short. Covid also affected more than just athletes’ schedules.

Martin Theater saw the cancellation of their planned rendition of Grease the musical along with all other productions. Senior Brandon Parker said he realized he would not be performing and took the extra time on his hands to be more productive.

“I started a new job during quarantine that really helped me stay productive,” he said. “I also started hitting the gym more often.”

Finding time to get motivated and adapt to the changing world around us was definitely a challenge for most if not all of the students and staff.

Senior Autumn Smith was one of many who found herself at first being drawn to the couch.

“It was definitely an adjustment,” she said. “At first, I wasn’t really motivated to get up since I kept binge-watching Netflix, but I forced myself to start working out. I eventually got into a routine and started feeling like myself again.”

One of the big things that most students interviewed had in common was the fact that sleep schedules went from normal, to horrid, then back to normal.

Windham said it best when speaking on the biggest change in his daily schedule during quarantine.

“My biggest change is my sleep schedule because I know I don’t have to be anywhere so I can sleep in more normally now,” he said.

Finding this time to sleep is what many said kept their stress down.